Episode 34, ‘What is the best colour in the universe?’, on the Academy Awards
Dave and Steve return with an episode that was definitely, 100% recorded this week. No doubt. There is certainly no way that it was recorded immediately following the Oscars and then ignored until this week. Nope. This week they tackle the topic of the Academy Awards, conceptually, rather than specifically — although they do delve into particular cases to help draw out their broader points. Additionally, Dave tanks any possibility of Steve getting involved in politics ever again.
- Intro Clip: The 42nd Academy Awards
- Dave blames Steven for everything.
- Dave and Steve have an irrational hatred and love for the movie Gladiator.
- Dave laments the loss of his childlike sense of wonder.
- Confession time: this episode was recorded months ago, before Dave had seen The Martian. We apologize for lying to you.
- Al Pacino and Russell Crowe starred in the 1999 Best Picture nominee The Insider. Dave and Steve will be happy and devastated to know that it was a box office flop.
- Dave viciously slanders Leonardo Dicaprio.
- Steve uses the phrase “they used to have…” very loosely.
- How does anyone justify Meryl Streep’s nomination for The Devil Wears Prada?
- Steve suggests that The Style Guide is on par with The Academy Awards.
- Dave makes bold claims about films that he has never seen.
- What does ‘best’ even mean? And, like, have you ever really noticed how weird hands are, man?
- Steven claims that he is not a special snowflake.
- Steven claims that he is a special snowflake.
- Dave has read books before.
- Is Brie Larson going to be another Sandra Bullock situation, Dave?
- Listen for Steve’s entirely appropriate use of the word “arcane”.
- Steve is incredulous that Beauty and the Beast was nominated.
- Steve gets very defensive of Moonstruck.
- Dave doesn’t know how to pronounce Jessica Lange.
- Whatever happened to Helen Hunt?
- Dave and Steve spend the remainder of the episode being white dudes.